BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Tagged Layouts »

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Little Things In Life

There are times in life where it hits you just how blessed you really are. There are so many things on a daily basis that I take for granted. Things that I never even think about b/c they are just so natural like breathing, seeing, hearing, tasting,feeling, walking, talking, even the ability to type this right now. I have all my fingers and toes. I have good health. I have a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in, food to eat, clothes on my back, shoes on my feet. I have family and friends who love me and support me. I have gadgets to play with and movies to watch. My husband has a secure job and I am trained in 2 different fields so, I will (most likely), always have a job. On top of all of that, I have a beautiful daughter and a loving husband that also have their health, fingers, and toes, and a very sweet and loyal doggy :)
I can admit now, that it took moving out here to China to humble me and realize just how good I have it. I was so selfish, and still am in some ways. I didn't really realize what was important in life. Your loved ones can be taken away from you in a flash. Your health can change from good to bad. You could get into an accident and loose some of your abilities. And you could loose your job in this economy. I don't say these things to scare anyone, but it is reality and we all really need to take a step back and count our many blessings instead of counting the things that are bad in life. If you have a negative attitude all of the time, you will have a negative life and there is nothing "fun" about that. Let the little things slide and deal with the the real challenges that you face one by one head on.
It has been extremely hard for me to be out here and I catch myself feeling sorry for myself and playing the victim. I actually have to remind myself to take a step back and just breathe and say a little prayer in my heart to knock it the hell off. Then I feel so silly. How can I be depressed over such a minor issue? There are people who have no home. That don't have a closet full of clothes and shoes. Who don't have their health or food, that may not have a support system of family and friends, and may be missing a finger or two. Who gave me the right to feel bad for myself when I am beyond blessed in every way?
I might not have a lot of money, but I have enough to buy food, and pay the bills, and sometimes even have a little extra to go shopping or do something fun.
I might not have the prettiest face, but I have a husband who thinks that I am beautiful and who loves me for me.
I may not have the clearest skin, but I have the ability to purchase make up to help give me a better looking complexion.
I may not have the biggest house, but I have a place to call home and lay my head at night. A safe haven.
I have stretch marks, but I have a beautiful little girl b/c of them.
My nose may be on the larger side, but I have a petite figure that I am very thankful for.
I may not have all of my clothes name brand, but I have money to buy cute clothes and cheap jewelry :)
I'm not the most popular person in the world, but I have the most amazing family and amazing friends who i wouldn't trade for the world!!
I may live in China, but I get to go back home soon to America!
My list really could go on and on. I guess my point is, that if you find yourself down over the cons in life, don't forget about all of the pros that you have. Life is such a blessing and it gets rough for sure! but I know that b/c of some of the hard times I myself have been through, that I am now a better and stronger person b/c of them and I am actually grateful now for those experiences. I love my past. I love my present. I’m not ashamed of what I’ve had, and I’m not sad because I have it no longer. I just feel so very blessed in every way. My life is great and I thank God everyday for what he has blessed me with. I don't deserve it, but I will take it and try to contiue earning it :) The little things count and add up. Never overlook them and try to live life to it's fullest!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now--THAT I can really relate to and I DO understand exactly!
Thanks for the reminder why we all should be more thankful for the here and now. Advice I gave my daugher is now coming back to me. Life is a circle!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever noticed that your appreciation seems to increase 100% when you are out of "your own lil world" and are not used to being out of your structured self? Like you said--just day to day things we get used to and take for granted. As I re-read this very thought provoking blog (which is what I am sure you were wanting us to do!) is to be more open and better able to express sincere gratitude.Why is so hard to do that when we all need just a touch now and then of it ourselves?

Valerie said...

Hi darling, I can agree in all accounts. Being in Texas has been wonderful for me but not without its struggles. I too have been humbled in more ways than one and am so ever thankful for the things I took for granted before. Love ya...sorry I haven't had a chance to email i've just been super busy.